Seeing The Last Song? Leave the Mascara at Home


Of course, anyone who has sobbed through a Nicholas Sparks book or movie already is sure to be prepared with a box of tissues or two.

Not being a fan of Nicholas Sparks books/movies, or Hannah Montana, I expected The Last Song would be about as believable as the fairytale romance novel material that a Sparks novel typically delivers. My expectations of the movie were low--but SURPRISE--I absolutely LOVED this movie!

Here's the STORY from the official The Last Song movie website:

Based on the best-selling novelist Nicholas Sparks' ("Walk to Remember", "The Notebook") latest novel, THE LAST SONG, is set in a small Southern beach town where an estranged father (GREG KINNEAR) gets the chance to spend the summer with his reluctant teen-aged daughter (MILEY CYRUS) who'd rather be home in New York. He tries to connect with her through the only thing they have in common--music--in a story of family, friendship, secrets and salvation, along with first loves and second chances. The film is directed by Julie Ann Robinson from a screenplay by Sparks and Jeff Van Wie.

I think the romance between Will and Ronnie was more believable for me in The Last Song because they were teens instead of adults. When you're 17 a first love does seem like a fairytale. (I didn't see Dear John or read the book so I can't compare it with The Last Song--those characters were young as well.) I also liked the character Jonah, Miley Cyrus' character's younger brother who was played by Bobby Coleman. He and Greg Kinnear were my favorite actors/characters in the movie. Reviews of the movie haven't been good, I've heard. Some are not impressed with Miley Cyrus' acting ability but I thought she was much easier to like as an actor in The Last Song than from what I've seen on Hannah Montana.

The scenery in The Last Song was gorgeous. I'm so ready to rent a house on the beach for the summer : ) Speaking of houses, the family's beach house in this movie was just lovely to me--old and weathered, with wood floors, antique farmhouse sink, wraparound porch, screened porch, antique iron bed and rooms with overflowing bookshelves. In addition to the house, the other elements of the set helped me love this movie--the live oaks--love them. Cute baby sea turtles. A carnival on the beach.

Recommendation: ~Watch this one but be prepared to CRY, CRY, CRY~

Comments

Popular Posts